Saturday, October 6, 2012

September 2012 Embroidery Journal Project

Here I am with this past month's embroidery journal project!
This project was inspired by the maple outside the living room window. I often sit near this window where you can see the afternoon sun shining through the trees.

So this represents one of the branches that hang down, filled with leave turning all sorts of beautiful shades of red, orange, and yellow. I painted the background with watercolors. I was happy with the way it looked. I wanted to have the feeling of the autumn sun lighting up the leaves. For this project, I just started with an idea, I didn't make a pattern or any lines on the fabric.

I picked out a few threads that I thought might be interesting to use, and among those I had the brown threads I picked up at the flea market. It's a bunch of very thin threads all twisted together. No idea what the thread is for, maybe weaving, but it made a great branch.  I couched them down and left the ends loose to give the feeling of even smaller branches.

This one was fun! I'm off now to go out in the fall sunshine in search of my next project inspiration!

2 comments:

Rebel Blossom @ Studio 2sixty said...

How positively beautiful...I love this!

Glenda said...

Emily, this is absolutely gorgeous!! I think it's my favorite you've done so far for the Embroidery Journal Project -- I love the colors. And, well, anything to do with trees is a win in my book =).