Wednesday, February 20, 2013

For embroidery lovers only

I think that must have been true then as it is now. You certainly have to love embroidery to make it through a project of this size!!!  This project is nearly 2' x 2'.


I have come back to my reproduction wool embroidery that has been pushed to the side for a very long time. I started this a year and a half ago, and I am determined that this year it will be done. To be honest I am a bit ashamed that it was left sitting so long. I will keep at it, although I do intend to go back to my other projects as well!


I've mentioned this project before, but I will again. It's been a long time. This project that I bought (it wasn't one of my own creations) is after an old pillow that was found in the south of Sweden. It's very typical with the colors and the folk-arty themes, as well as the black wool fabric too. Black was highly prized and a sign of wealth, since it was hard to make black.  The cushions were meant for use, not just for decoration like mine will be. The seats were hard wood, so a cushion was very welcome.

I've been a fan of these old embroideries for a while now. To me they tell a story of the joy of embroidery and decoration, as well as the joy in the creative process. I find them fascinating to look at and ponder.  The reproductions are fine and all, but the next one I do will be of my own design, because I think it's more important to use our arts and crafts to tell our own stories.

Now for some true cuteness. Around here, the little long-tailed tits are pretty much considered to be one of the cutest birds in existence! Whenever I hear them out there, I always stop to watch them because they are just so fun to watch!

3 comments:

Lora said...

Good luck on the embroidery project! I am in the midst of a quilting project that is kinda like that...seems never ending but in the end it's worth it. It looks great so far!

And I have to agree...those birds are pretty darn cute, I love the floofiness of the second one!!

Amy said...

What a sweet little bird, love his tummy.
Your embroidery is pretty.

Elizabeth Braun said...

It took me about 4 years to complete that needle painted dog piece, so don't give yourself a hard time about a project less than 2 years old. Embroidery is a hobby after all.=)

Love the birds!